SEO has traditionally divided into two main areas; on-page optimisation which covers what can be done on the pages of the website itself, and off-page optimisation which covers activity that takes place elsewhere (e.g. link-building).
The most effective strategy in 2012 however (social media powered SEO) requires an integrated approach, with on-page content promoted off-page within the main social media channels. Please click on the following link to find out more about social media SEO – the future proofed SEO strategy that delivers outstanding results now.
Alternatively, click here to understand more about how off-page SEO has had to adapt to changes in the search engines’ algorithms to remain effective in 2012.
Finally, if you are more interested in on-page SEO, we should probably warn you that, although it’s still very important to optimise on-page factors, it’s extremely unlikely to work on its own unless your market is particularly niche. Please read on for:
• A checklist outlining the key areas to consider when reviewing on-page SEO.
• A list of common mistakes to look out for with regard to on-page SEO.
• A list of old-school SEO (‘spammy’) on-page tactics that the search engines are now able to recognise (and punish accordingly).
On-Page SEO Checklist:
major technical section
- check up user agent
- robort.txt file
- rss feed file
- xml sitemap
- 404 error page
- 301 redirect page
- W3C validation
- canonical url checker
On Page analysis
- page speed
- meta title tag 65 characters or less(long, short, not found, duplicate)
- meta description 155 characters or less(long, short, not found, duplicate)
- meta keywords 100 characters or less(long, short, not found, duplicate)
- H1-H6(header) analysis
- Url stucture and internal linkingmeta description 155 characters or less(long, short, not found, duplicate)
- broken links check
- page description, title, keyword suffing and image alt(long, short, not found, duplicate)
- look up java, flash and framing
- branding and design look up and verify
USE THIS SITE FOR AUDITS: